Current habits I’m working on:
- Early to bed, early to rise: I’m on/off with the sleep schedule, but in 2019 I’ve recommitted to waking up at 5am Monday through Friday. My current routine is to get a cup of coffee in first thing and then walk over to my neighborhood gym and get a workout in at 5:30am sharp each morning. This means I need to be sleeping by 10pm at the latest (by 9pm ideally).
- Reducing recreational screen-time: I’ve tried to reduce the amount of mindless media and digital consumption in recent years. This includes keeping the iPhone far from my bed, a device curfew and a hiatus from social media.
- Piano sight-reading: I aim for 30 minutes/day of piano practice. Sometimes it goes longer since it’s so much fun. In past years my goal has been one new piece each month. A month usually works pretty well for me to learn a short, intermediate piece in that timeframe. In 2019 I’m going to mix up the regimen by focusing on daily sight-reading. I may make a post on the plan since I’ve already started with the sight-reading approach for the past couple of months.
- Daily Exercise: Weightlifting 2-3x per week. Cardio 2-3x per week. I usually alternate days of weights and cardio.
- Reading: I aim to read 30-50 books a year. I mostly faltered in 2018 after posting pretty consistent numbers in prior years.
- Writing: I try to write in my personal journal on a daily basis. In 2019 I’m aiming to write regularly online in my blog.